- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup butter (no substitutes), cut up
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons toasted ground almonds, divided
- 1 teaspoon orange peel
- 1 pound fresh Bing cherries
- 1 tablespoon orange-flavored liqueur
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 6 tablespoons heavy or whipping cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
1. For pastry, pulse the 1-1/4 cups flour and confectioners' sugar in food processor. Add butter; pulse 4 to 5 times, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add egg yolk, 2 tablespoons almonds and orange peel; pulse until mixture begins to come together. Mixture will be crumbly, but that's okay. Transfer pastry to a 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom. Press evenly along the bottom and up the sides of pan. Freeze tart shell 20 minutes, until firm.
2. Arrange rack on bottom position of oven. Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake tart shell until lightly golden, 18 minutes. Cool on wire rack, then sprinkle crust with remaining 1 tablespoon almonds.
3. Meanwhile, pit cherries. Toss cherries, orange liqueur, and peel in medium bowl; let stand 15 minutes at room temperature.
4. Scatter cherries evenly over cooled crust, then pour any cherry juices on top. Whisk together cream, eggs granulated sugar, the 1 tablespoon flour, and the vanilla and almond extracts in large bowl; pour mixture into cooled crust.
5. Bake tart until filling is set and golden brown, 45 minutes. Cool tart in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove side of pan and serve warm or at room temperature. Makes 8 servings.
Make Ahead Tip
- Prepare crust but do not freeze; cover and refrigerate overnight. Assembled tart may be covered and chilled overnight; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.
- Servings Per Recipe 8
- Fat, total(g)20,
- sat. fat(g)11,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!