Yield: about 40 biscuits Prep 25 mins Bake 450°F 10 mins
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2/3 cup cold butter or margarine, cut up
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- Baked ham, sliced
1. Preheat oven to 450 degree F. Grease 2 cookie sheets. Set aside.
2. Combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, baking soda, salt, and red pepper in a large bowl. With a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in 2/3 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the buttermilk just until combined.
3. On a lightly floured surface with a floured rolling pin, roll the dough 1/2-inch thick. Cut into circles with a floured, 2-inch round cookie cutter, rerolling and cutting scraps. Transfer biscuits to prepared cookie sheets and brush the tops with beaten egg. Bake about 10 minutes or until golden. Transfer to wire racks to cool slightly.
4. Split biscuits and brush cut sides with 3 tablespoons melted butter. Serve with baked ham. Makes about 40 biscuits.
Make Ahead Tip
- Prepare as directed above. Cool. Wrap and freeze up to 1 month. Thaw covered at room temperature. Uncover and reheat in batches in a preheated 400 degree F oven, for 5 minutes.
- Fat, total(g)4,
- sat. fat(g)3,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet