Hearty Baked Beans
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/3 cup dark molasses
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 can (15 to 19 oz.) chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 to 19 oz.) great Northern or small white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 oz.) pork and beans in tomato sauce
- 1 package (10 oz.) frozen baby lima beans, cooked according to package directions
1. Heat oven to 375 degree F. Combine bacon and onions in Dutch oven; cook over medium heat 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are golden. Stir in garlic, molasses, vinegar, brown sugar, mustard and pepper. Bring to a boil. Add beans. Bring to a simmer; simmer 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
2. Pour mixture into a deep 2-1/2-quart baking dish. Cover and bak 45 minutes, stirring twice, until hot and bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Makes 12 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 12
- Fat, total(g)9,
- sat. fat(g)3,
- Polyunsaturated fat(g)8,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!