Pasta with Bolognese Sauce
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes in puree
- 3 8 ounce cans tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed fennel seed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 pound sliced shiitake or white mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 pound ground veal
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 1 pound castellane or rigatoni pasta
- Grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
1. Bring water for pasta to a boil.
2. Microwave tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, rosemary, crushed red pepper, and fennel seed, covered with vented plastic wrap, in a large microwave proof bowl on High 10 to 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
3. Heat oil in 12-inch skillet. Add onion, mushrooms, and garlic; cook 8 minutes. Add veal and pork; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook, breaking up meat with a spoon, until no longer pink. Add wine; gently boil 2 minutes. Stir in tomato mixture. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, start to cook pasta according to package directions.
5. Drain pasta; return to pot. Toss pasta with 2 cups of sauce; transfer to a bowl. Top with 1 cup of the sauce. Serve with remaining sauce and cheese. Makes 4 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 4
- Fat, total(g)22,
- sat. fat(g)7,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!