Pork and Salsa Verde
- 2 cups hot water
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 serrano or jalapeno chile, minced
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 3/4 pounds boneless pork shoulder
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- 1 teaspoon capers, drained
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Metal skewers (or wooden skewers soaked in water 30 minutes)
1. Stir hot water, salt, sugar, garlic, chile, peppercorns, and red-pepper flakes together in medium bowl until sugar has almost dissolved. Add cold water. Let cool to room temperature. Pour brine in large, heavy-duty, resealable plastic storage bag. Add pork shoulder. Seal bag and turn pork to coat. Marinate pork in the refrigerator 24 hours, turning bag several times.
2. For the salsa verde, in a blender or food processor bowl combine cilantro, parsley, mint, onion, vinegar, 1 tablespoon warm water, 1 teaspoon capers and 2 cloves garlic. Cover and blend or process, until blended. With machine on, gradually add oil through feed tube, until salsa is smooth. Divide salsa between 2 small bowls. Set aside.
3. Prepare grill according to manufacturer's directions for direct grilling.
4. Drain pork in colander. Discard brine and rinse pork under cold running water. Pat dry. Transfer pork to cutting board and cut into 1-inch pieces. Skewer 4 or 5 pieces of pork on each of 6 skewers. Brush with salsa verde from one bowl; discard any remaining salsa verde in this bowl.
5. Oil grill. Grill kebabs 10 minutes, turning several times until cooked through. Transfer kebabs to large serving plate. Serve with second bowl of salsa verde for dipping sauce. Makes 6 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 6
- Fat, total(g)45,
- sat. fat(g)12,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet