Pork Chili-Filled Mini Pumpkins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus additional for pans
- 12 mini pumpkins (3-1/4 to 3-3/4 inches in diameter)
- 3/4 pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 orange bell peppers, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pound ground pork or ground turkey
- 1/4 pound kale (stems discarded), coarsely chopped
- 1 14 1/2ounce can chicken broth
- 1 15 1/2ounce can black beans
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1. Preheat oven to 400 degree F and arrange racks in upper and lower thirds of oven; lightly oil 2 large baking pans. Cut tops off pumpkins; remove and discard seeds from bottoms. Arrange pumpkin tops and bottoms, cut side down, on prepared pans. Roast, switching pans halfway through, until just tender but not falling apart, about 15 minutes for tops and 20 minutes for bottoms.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a 5-quart pot over moderate heat. Add squash, bell pepper, onion, garlic, chili powder, oregano and cumin; cook, stirring, until vegetables are softened, about 4 minutes. Add pork and cook, stirring and breaking up clumps, until no longer pink, about 6 minutes. Stir in kale, broth, and beans; simmer, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes. Stir in cilantro; salt and pepper to taste. Spoon into pumpkins and top with lids. Makes 12 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 12
- Fat, total(g)10,
- sat. fat(g)3,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!