Roast Pork Loin with Red Cabbage, Apples, and Onions
- 2 1/2 pounds red and yellow onions, cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges
- 1 1 pound piece red cabbage, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices, separated
- 10 garlic cloves (6 whole cloves and 4 coarsely chopped)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 slices firm white sandwich bread
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh sage, plus fresh leaves for garnish
- 1 3 pound center-cut boneless pork loin with thin layer of fat
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard, plus additional to serve on the side
- 2 pounds apples (Granny Smith, Rome, or Empire), halved, cored, and halves cut into thirds
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar or to taste
1. Toss onions, cabbage, whole garlic cloves, and 2 tablespoons oil together in a large heavy roasting pan; season with salt.
2. Tear bread and pulse in a food processor or blender with chopped garlic and sage until coarsely ground. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Preheat oven to 450 degree F. Rinse and pat pork dry; season with salt and pepper.Heat a large skillet with remaining 1 tablespoon oil over moderately high heat and brown pork on all sides, about 5 minutes. Place pork, fat side up, in center of roasting pan over onion mixture; spread mustard over top of pork. Sprinkle bread crumb mixture over mustard, pressing to adhere.
4. Roast pork 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 400 degree F; add apples to pan and roast 1 to 1-1/4 hours more, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in center of pork registers 145 degree F, tenting with foil if browning too quickly.
5. Transfer pork in pan to rack; let stand 15 minutes before carving into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
6. Meanwhile, transfer onion mixture to a bowl and stir in vinegar; salt and pepper to taste.
7. Serve pork slices over onion mixture and garnish with fresh sage. Makes 6 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 6
- Fat, total(g)38,
- sat. fat(g)11,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!