Sausage Corn Bread Coins
Yield: 28 coins Prep 25 mins Start to Finish 50 mins
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus additional for brushing pans
- 6 ounces bulk pork sausage
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup all-purpose four
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup well-shaken buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 3/4 cup grated 2-percent extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped scallion greens
- 1 - 2 tablespoons chopped drained, pickled jalapenos
1. Preheat oven to 450 degree F and lightly grease two mini (12 cups, each 1-1/2 to 2 inches in diameter) muffin tins with butter.
2. Cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over moderate heat, stirring and breaking up lumps, until no longer pink, about 3 minutes. Remove pan from heat and let sausage cool.
3. Whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
4. Whisk together buttermilk and egg in a medium bowl. Whisk buttermilk mixture into cornmeal mixture until just combined. Fold in corn, cheese, scallion, jalapenos, 2 tablespoons melted butter and sausage.
5. Spoon about a heaping teaspoon of batter into each muffin cup and bake coins until golden brown on top, and a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean, about 10 minutes.
- Fat, total(g)5,
- sat. fat(g)2,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet