Sichuan Pork and Sausage
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons Sichuan peppercorns
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cream sherry*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rice-wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 6 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 pound asparagus, cut diagonally into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 pound pork tenderloin
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger, divided
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded and caps sliced
- 1 tablespoon chicken broth
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
1. For Pepper-Salt, toast the 1/4 cup salt and the peppercorns in a skillet over medium heat 4 to 5 minutes, until slightly darkened. Transfer to a spice or coffee grinder and process until fine. (Makes 1/4 cup). Set aside.
2. For sauce, combine chicken broth, soy sauce, cream sherry, sugar, vinegar and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl; whisk in cornstarch.
3. Heat 1-1/2 teaspoons of the oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over high heat. Add asparagus and sesame; stir-fry 3 to 4 minutes, just until tender. Transfer to a bowl.
4. Heat 1-1/2 teaspoons of the oil in same skillet. Add half the pork, 1 teaspoon ginger and 1/4 teaspoon of the Pepper-Salt; stir-fry 2 minutes. Transfer to another bowl. Repeat process.
5. Heat remaining 1-1/2 teaspoons oil in skillet. Add mushrooms and broth and stir-fry 2 minutes until mushrooms are tender. Whisk sauce again and pour into skillet; bring to a boil. Boil 30 seconds; stir in pork and heat 20 seconds more (no longer, pork will overcook). Transfer to a platter; top with asparagus, green onion and 1/2 teaspoon more of the Pepper-Salt (reserve remaining Pepper-Salt for another use). Makes 4 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 4
- Fat, total(g)15,
- sat. fat(g)4,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!