Spinach and Sausage Soup
- 1/2 pound sweet or hot Italian sausage, casing removed, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 pound spinach, stems trimmed, or 1 small head (1 lb.) escarole, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 3 cans (14 oz. each) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup broken (1-inch) pieces capellini or vermicelli
- 4 slices crusty French or Italian bread, 1/2 inch thick
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1. Heat a large saucepan over high heat. Add sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 2 minutes. Add garlic; cook 30 seconds. Add spinach and broth. Fill one empty can of broth with water; add to pot. Cover and bring mixture to a boil. (If using escarole, add to pot and boil 3 minutes.) Add capellini, cover and boil 2 minutes more.
2. Meanwhile, heat broiler. Broil bread slices on cookie sheet about 1 minute per side, until toasted. Drizzle each slice with 1 teaspoon oil; sprinkle each with 1/2 teaspoon Parmesan. Divide soup among 4 large soup bowls and top each serving with prepared toasts. Makes 4 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 4
- Fat, total(g)27,
- sat. fat(g)8,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!