Chicken and Okra Gumbo
- 3 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 10 ounce package frozen whole or cut okra, thawed
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 3/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 13 3/4 - 14 1/2ounce can chicken broth, defatted*
- 1 14 - 16 ounce can tomatoes
- Half of a bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Pinch dried thyme
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain rice, cooked
- 1 large green bell pepper, finely chopped
1. Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add okra and cook, stirring until beginning to brown, 10 minutes. Transfer to medium bowl.
2. Add 1 teaspoon of the oil to skillet. Pat chicken dry on paper towel; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Cook, stirring over medium-high heat until browned, 5 minutes. Add to bowl with okra.
3. Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to skillet and reduce heat to medium. Add onions, green pepper, and celery; cook, stirring until onions are soft, 10 minutes. Stir in flour and cook until browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook 30 seconds.
4. Transfer vegetable mixture to Dutch oven. Stir in broth, tomatoes with liquid, bay leaf, black and red pepper, thyme, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, breaking up tomatoes with spoon. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Add okra and chicken; simmer 5 minutes. Stir in shrimp and cook until shrimp are opaque throughout, 2 minutes more. Discard bay leaf. Spoon into bowls over rice. Makes 6 servings.
- To defat broth, freeze broth 30 minutes or until fat solidifies on surface. Remove fat with slotted spoon.
- Servings Per Recipe 6
- Fat, total(g)5,
- sat. fat(g)1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!