- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound lean (90 percent) ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground turkey or chicken
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pound white mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 14 1/2ounce can beef broth
- 2 35 ounce cans Italian style tomatoes
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 pound dry fettuccine, cooked according to package directions
DirectionsMake Bolognese Sauce::
1. Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef and turkey; cook until brown, 5 minutes. Stir in onions; cover and cook until onions are softened, 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, salt, pepper, and thyme; cook 30 seconds. Stir in mushrooms; cook, covered, 5 minutes. Add carrots and celery; cook, covered, 2 minutes more. Stir in broth; bring to boil and cook, uncovered, until broth is slightly reduced, 10 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and tomato paste, breaking up tomatoes with back of spoon. Return to boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 1 hour. Stir in parsley. Reserve half the sauce for fettuccine; cool remaining sauce completely, then cover and freeze for up to 1 month. Makes 11 cups.
2. Drain fettuccine. Return to pot. Add 5-1/2 cups of the Bolognese Sauce; toss. Makes 6 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 6
- Fat, total(g)8,
- sat. fat(g)2,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!