- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 pounds extra-lean (95 percent) ground beef, turkey breast, or chicken
- 2 cups fresh bread crumbs
- 1 cup canned or frozen, thawed corn kernels
- 1/3 tablespoon ketchup
- 1/3 cup low-fat (1 percent) milk
- 1 large egg plus 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1. Heat oven to 350 degree F. Heat oil in medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in chili powder, cumin, garlic, and red pepper; cook 30 seconds more. Transfer to large bowl and cool.
2. Add beef, bread crumbs, corn, 1/3 cup ketchup, and the milk, egg and egg white, salt, and black pepper; mix well. Pat into 9x5-inch loaf pan. Spread remaining 2 tablespoons ketchup on top. Bake 75 to 80 minutes until an instant-read thermometer inserted in center of loaf registers 160 degrees F for beef; 165 degrees F for turkey or chicken. Let stand 10 minutes. Discard any drippings. Unmold and slice. Makes 8 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 8
- Fat, total(g)5,
- sat. fat(g)1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!