Turkey Sausage and Tuscan Bean Stew
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pound precooked smoked turkey sausage
- 1 pound small bunch (1/2 lb.) lacinato or regular kale, stems and ribs discarded, leaves chopped
- 2 ounce cans (15.5 oz. each) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 ounce can (28 oz.) plum tomatoes, drained and chopped, reserving 1 cup tomato juice
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon hot-pepper flakes, if desired
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
1. Preheat oven to 400 degree F.
2. Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking. Brown sausages in skillet, turning occasionally until golden brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Transfer sausages to a cutting board and cut crosswise diagonally into 1-inch-thick ovals. Saute kale in 4 batches in small skillet with sausage juices over moderately high heat, stirring until softened and kale starts to brown and crisp, 2 to 3 minutes per batch.
3. Stir together beans, tomatoes, reserved cup tomato juice, broth, rosemary, hot-pepper flakes, and kale in a shallow 2- to 2-1/2-quart ovenproof dish. Tuck in sausages and sprinkle evenly with Parmigiano-Reggiano.
4. Bake stew in middle of oven, uncovered, until bubbling, about 15 minutes.
5. Serve immediately from dish at table. Makes 6 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 6
- Fat, total(g)10,
- sat. fat(g)4,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet