Caramel-Glazed Ginger Custard
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 1/2 cups 2-percent milk
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon grated orange peel
- Pinch salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
1. Place eight 6-ounce custard cups in large baking pan. Pour 1/2 inch hot water into baking pan to warm cups. Bring the 1/2 cup sugar and 3 tablespoons water to boil in small saucepan; boil, covered, 1 minute. Uncover and continue boiling without stirring, swirling pan occasionally, until sugar is a deep amber color, about 5 minutes. Fill each custard cup with 1 scant tablespoon caramel; swirl to coat bottoms of cups. Discard water in pan.
2. Heat oven to 350 degree F. Combine milk and vanilla bean in medium saucepan and bring just to simmer. Remove from heat and cool to lukewarm. Combine the 1/3 cup sugar, the ginger, orange peel, and salt in food processor or blender; process until smooth, 1 minute. Add eggs and egg whites; pulse to combine. Remove vanilla bean from milk; add 1 cup of the milk to processor and pulse to combine. Stir sugar-egg mixture into remaining milk. Strain custard through fine sieve. Pour evenly into prepared custard cups.
3. Add boiling water to baking pan to come halfway up sides of custard cups. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until just set. Transfer to wire racks to cool. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
4. Just before serving, run knife around edge of each cup to loosen. Invert custard onto dessert plates. Makes 8 servings.
Make Ahead Tip
- The custards can be baked ahead. Cover and refrigerate up to 3 days. Serve as directed.
- Servings Per Recipe 8
- Fat, total(g)3,
- sat. fat(g)1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet