Holiday Rice Pudding
- 4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1/2 cup long-grain rice (not converted)
- 3 tablespoons pear brandy (eau-de-vie) or white rum, divided
- 1/2 cup dried, sweetened cranberries or dried blueberries
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy or whipping cream, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons confectioners sugar
- 2 tablespoons diced candied orange peel
- Candied orange peel strips, for garnish
1. Bring milk, 1/4 cup of the granulated sugar and vanilla bean just to boil in large saucepan over medium-high heat; stir in rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 40 minutes or until rice is tender.
2. Meanwhile, stir cranberries and 2 tablespoons of the pear brandy together in small bowl. Set aside.
3. Whisk eggs yolks, 1/2 cup of the cream and remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar in bowl. Stir into rice mixture. Bring to boil; cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Remove vanilla bean and discard. Transfer rice mixture to large bowl; stir in lemon peel. Cool completely.
4. Drain cranberries; discard excess liquid. Beat remaining 1/2 cup cream and confectioners sugar with electric mixer until stiff. Fold whipped cream mixture, cranberries, candied orange peel and remaining pear brandy into rice mixture. Transfer to serving bowl. Garnish with additional candied peel, if desired. Makes 8 servings.
Make Ahead Tip
- Prepare rice pudding. Cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours.
- Servings Per Recipe 8
- Fat, total(g)17,
- sat. fat(g)10,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet