Old-Fashioned Bread Pudding
- 4 cups cubed (3/4 inch) stale French bread
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 3 cups low-fat (1 percent) milk, divided
- 3 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar, divided
- Pinch salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Boiling water
1. Heat oven to 350 degree F. Spread bread and raisins in 8-inch square baking pan. Whisk 2 cups of the milk, 2 tablespoons of the brown sugar, and the salt in medium bowl. Pour over bread and let stand 15 minutes, turning bread once.
2. Whisk remaining 1 cup milk, the egg, egg whites, granulated sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Pour over bread. Sprinkle remaining 1 tablespoon brown sugar on top.
3. Place pan in larger baking pan and add boiling water to come halfway up sides of smaller pan. Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until knife inserted 1 inch from edge comes out clean. Remove from water bath and cool on wire rack 15 minutes before serving. Serve warm. Makes 8 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 8
- Fat, total(g)2,
- sat. fat(g)1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!