Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Pickled Onion Slaw
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 4 pounds boneless pork shoulder, excess fat removed
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 1/2 large red onions, thinly sliced root to tip
- 1/2 cup cilantro, coarsley chopped
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 8 brioche or hamburger buns
1. Sprinkle salt over entire pork shoulder and place in a slow cooker with crushed garlic, cumin seeds and 1/4 cup vinegar. Cover and cook over low heat for 7 hr or high heat for 5 hr. Pork should shred easily and be very tender.
2. Meanwhile, make slaw by whisking together remaining 1/4 cup vinegar, sugar, celery seed; toss with onions. Let sit up to 3 hr. Stir in cilantro just before serving.
3. Remove pork from juices and let cool slightly, then shred and cut into small pieces. Strain juices and pour off fat. Mix 1 cup of the juices with barbecue sauce and hot sauce to serve with pork; discard remaining juices.
4. Serve pork on brioche buns pilled with onion slaw and drizzled with sauce. Pork can be made a day in advance.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!