Sweet and Spicy Barley
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2/3 cup pearl barley
- 1 14 ounce can low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup long-grain brown rice
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon finely chopped chipotle pepper in adobo
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/3 cup pecans or walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
1. Heat oil and onion in a large saucepan over medium heat; cook, stirring, 5 min. Stir in barley; cook until barley begins to brown, about 3 min.
2. Stir in broth, 1-3/4 cups water, brown rice and chipotle pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until barley and rice are tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 45 min.
3. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 min. Stir in spinach, thyme and nuts just before serving. Makes 6 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 6
- Fat, total(g)7,
- sat. fat(g)1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!