Rye Cloverleaf Rolls
Yield: 16 rolls Prep 25 mins Start to Finish 5 hrs
- 1 1/4 - 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup instant mashed-potato flakes
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup rye flour
1. In a bowl, combine 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, potato flakes, whole-wheat flour, yeast and caraway seeds; set aside. In a saucepan, heat and stir buttermilk, butter, molasses and salt until warm and butter is almost melted. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture and mix on medium low for 30 sec, then beat on high for 3 min. Stir in rye flour and 1/4 to 1/2 cup all-purpose flour to make a stiff dough.
2. Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface. Gradually knead in some all-purpose flour until the dough is smooth and elastic, 6 to 8 min. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease surface. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size, 1-1/2 to 2 hr.
3. Gently punch down dough and transfer to a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half; cover and let rest for 10 min. Grease 16 cups of a standard muffin tin. Divide each half of the dough into 24 pieces. Gently roll each piece into a ball, tucking edges under to create smooth tops; place three balls in each muffin cup. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly double in size, 2 to 2-1/2 hr. Near the end of the rising time, heat oven to 350 degrees F. Makes 16 rolls.
4. Bake about 20 min or until rolls are golden brown. Immediately remove from pan and cool on a wire rack for 2 min. Brush with extra melted butter for a soft crust, if desired. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Fat, total(g)4,
- sat. fat(g)2,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet