Arugula, Beet, and Blood-Orange Salad with Artichokes
- 1 beet (about 3 oz.), top removed
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 ounce bunch (6 oz.) arugula, washed
- 1 ounce jar (6.5 oz.) artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 blood orange, peeled and sectioned
1. In a steamer basket over 1 inch of boiling water, steam beet until fork tender, 35 to 45 minutes (check water in steamer halfway through, adding more if needed). Remove from steamer and run beet under cold water, rubbing to remove peel (you may want to wear rubber gloves, or the juice could stain your hands). Slice thinly (you can cut the beet slices with heart-shape cookie cutters if you like) and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper until thoroughly combined. In a large serving bowl toss arugula, artichoke hearts, beet slices, and blood orange slices. Toss well with dressing so that salad is well coated. Makes 2 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 2
- Fat, total(g)22,
- sat. fat(g)3,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!