Our lightened-up version of this classic romaine salad lets you enjoy a favorite without all the calories and fat of the original.
- 4 ounces French bread, cubed
- 1 medium garlic clove, chopped
- 2 anchovy fillets
- 1 tablespoon light mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound head (1-1/4 pounds) romaine lettuce, leaves torn into pieces with ribs removed
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Spread bread cubes on cookie sheet. Bake 5 to 8 minutes, until toasted. Cool.
2. Mash garlic with a fork against the side of a large wooden bowl. Add anchovy and mash until a paste forms. Add mayonnaise, mashing into paste, then oil. Whisk in juice, broth, mustard, salt and pepper. (Dressing will be thin.)
3. Add romaine and croutons to bowl; toss with dressing. Sprinkle with Parmesan and toss again. Makes 4 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 4
- Fat, total(g)7,
- sat. fat(g)2,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet