Crisp Tuscan Tuna Salad with Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 1 pound bulb fennel, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 6 ounce cans tuna, packed in oil, drained and flaked into bite-size chunks
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, quartered
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus additional for salad
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 14 ounce large head boston or bibb lettuce, washed, dried, large leaves torn in half
- 1 ounce freshly shaved or grated parmigiano-reggiano, for garnish
1. Combine fennel, tuna, onion, olives, basil and thyme in a large bowl. Whisk together juice, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper in a small bowl until sugar is dissolved. Whisk in oil in a slow stream until thickened and emulsified, for vinaigrette. Add half of vinaigrette to tuna mixture and toss gently to coat, for salad.
2. Arrange lettuce leaves on a serving platter and spoon salad over top. Garnish with cheese and additional pepper, if desired. Serve remaining vinaigrette on the side.
- Servings Per Recipe 4
- Fat, total(g)41,
- sat. fat(g)6,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!