Grilled Veggie Garlic-Bread Salad
- Olive oil, for rack
- 1 small round loaf bread (about 6 inches in diameter), cut horizontally into six 1/3-inch-thick slices
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 1/2 pounds yellow squash, trimmed and cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 pound medium zucchini, trimmed and cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 pound eggplant (peeled, if desired), trimmed and cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 bell pepper (red), sides sliced off, stems and seeds discarded
- 1 bell pepper (orange), sides sliced off, stems and seeds discarded
- 6 ounces part-skim mozzarella, cut into 1/3-inch cubes
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 1 cup torn fresh basil leaves
- 2 - 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar, to taste
1. Preheat grill and lightly oil rack. Grill bread slices on rack over moderately high heat, turning once, until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Immediately rub both sides of each slice with cut side of garlic; transfer to serving plates.
2. Arrange all vegetables except tomatoes on lightly oiled rack, season with salt and pepper and grill, turning once, until just tender and golden brown, about 4 minutes for squash and zucchini, 5 minutes for eggplant and bell peppers. Transfer to cutting board and cut into 1-inch pieces.
3. Toss grilled vegetables with tomatoes, cheese, arugula, basil, and vinegar in a bowl; salt and pepper to taste. Mound salad on each bread slice and serve. Makes 6 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 6
- Fat, total(g)7,
- sat. fat(g)3,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!