Mushrooms and Barley over Greens
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 4 large portobello mushroom caps (about 1-1/4 lbs.)
- 1 cup quick-cook barley
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1 pound frisee or chicory salad greens
1. For the dressing, bring vinegar and sugar to a boil in saucepan; boil 3 minutes until mixture is reduced to 1/3 cup. Whisk in olive oil, salt, garlic and pepper. Set aside.
2. Heat oven to 425 degree F. Scrape gills from mushroom caps and discard. Arrange mushrooms smooth side up on a cookie sheet. Remove 2 tablespoons dressing to a cup and brush over tops of mushrooms. Bake 15 minutes. Cover with foil.
3. Meanwhile, cook barley according to package directions. Add the carrots during the last 3 minutes of cooking time. Slice mushrooms; toss with barley and 1/4 cup of the dressing. Toss salad with remaining dressing. Divide among 4 serving plates; top with barley-and-mushroom mixture. Makes 4 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 4
- Fat, total(g)12,
- sat. fat(g)2,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!