Pasta Salad with Herbed Marinated Mozzarella and Cherry Tomatoes
- 6 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup pine nuts (about 2 oz.)
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons bottled capers, drained and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 cup (9 ounces) bocconcini mozzarella, halved, at room temperature
- 3/4 pound (2 cups) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3/4 pound pasta
1. Heat 1/2 teaspoon oil in a small skillet over moderate heat until hot but not smoking. Add pine nuts and cook, stirring until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Transfer nuts to paper towels to drain, and season to taste with salt.
2. Whisk together vinegar, capers, and garlic and add remaining 6 tablespoons oil in a slow stream, whisking until combined. Stir in herbs, mozzarella, and tomatoes and let stand at room temperature, stirring occasionally, for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
3. Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until almost tender. Reserve 1/4 cup cooking water and drain remaining pasta in a colander.
4. Immediately transfer hot pasta and reserved cooking water to bowl with marinated mozzarella and tomatoes, and let stand 1 minute.
5. Gently toss pasta and cheese mixture and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately, sprinkled with pine nuts.
TipMake it Kid Friendly:
- Use your child's favorite pasta shape, such as wagon wheels or rotini.
- Servings Per Recipe 6
- sat. fat(g)10,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet