Spring Vegetable Herb Salad
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed
- 3/4 pound sugar snap peas
- 1 pound assorted small new potatoes
- 1 tablespoon tarragon or white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
- 1/2 cup torn mixed herbs (such as cilantro, basil, tarragon, chervil, and chives)
1. Bring a 4-quart pot of water to a boil; add salt. Add asparagus and cook until just tender, about 3 minutes. Transfer asparagus to a bowl of ice and cold water to stop cooking. Return water in pot to a boil, add peas and cook until just tender, about 1 minute. Drain in a colander, then transfer to bowl of ice and cold water; let cool 1 minute. Drain vegetables and cut diagonally crosswise into 2-inch pieces.
2. Place potatoes in pot, cover with cold water by 2 inches and bring to a boil over moderately high heat; add salt. Simmer until potatoes are fork tender but not falling apart, about 15 minutes (depending on size); drain in colander. Cool until cold running water until potatoes are just warm; halve.
3. Whisk together vinegar and mustard in a large serving bowl; add oil in a slow stream, whisking until thickened and emulsified. Whisk in shallot; salt and pepper to taste. Add asparagus, peas, potatoes, and three-quarters of herbs, tossing gently to coat with dressing. Sprinkle remaining herbs over top. Makes 8 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 8
- Fat, total(g)7,
- sat. fat(g)5,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!