Turkey, Bacon, and Pickled-Onion Spinach Salad
- 1/3 cup raspberry vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 4 ounce slices turkey bacon
- 6 cups (5 oz.) baby spinach
- 1/4 pound deli turkey, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 cup pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 ounces blue cheese, crumbed (1/2 cup)
DirectionsMake pickled onion::
1. Bring vinegar, sugar, and bay leaf to a boil in a small saucepan. Cook, stirring, until sugar dissolves, about 1 minute. Immediately stir in onion and remove from heat; let cool (discard bay leaf).
2. Transfer 3 tablespoons pickling liquid to a bowl. Whisk in mustard and oil; salt and pepper to taste, for dressing.
3. Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over moderate heat, turning once, until crisp and golden brown, 6 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain; crumble. Transfer 1/4 cup onion (no liquid) to a large bowl and toss with half of bacon, the spinach, turkey, pecans, cheese, and dressing; salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with remaining bacon, Drain remaining onion and serve on the side to top salad, if desired. Makes 4 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 4
- Fat, total(g)20,
- sat. fat(g)6,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet