Open-Faced Meatball Subs
Mini meatballs coated in marinara sauce are topped with onions and peppers to make these hot hoagie sandwiches. Try them for a fun weeknight dinner.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 recipe Mini Meatballs
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 bell peppers (red and yellow), sliced
- 2 hero rolls, halved lengthwise and lightly toasted
- 1 1/2 cups purchased marinara sauce
- 4 slices (about 3 ounces)provolone, cut in half
1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add meatballs and turn to coat. Reduce heat to medium and cook, turning occasionally, until browned and cooked through, about 15 minutes. Transfer meatballs to a large saucepan and cover.
2. Wipe skillet clean; add remaining 2 tablespoons oil with the onion and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until just softened, about 4 minutes. Add bell pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and just starting to brown, 6 to 8 minutes.
3. Heat broiler and place rack 6 inches from heat. Place rolls, cut side up, on a baking sheet. In saucepan with meatballs, add sauce and heat over medium heat until warm, about 2 minutes; spoon onto each roll. Cover with onion-bell pepper mixture and top each with 2 cheese halves. Broil until cheese is melted, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Servings Per Recipe 4
- Fat, total(g)47,
- sat. fat(g)16,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Yield: 55 to 60 meatballs Prep 20 mins Start to Finish 20 mins
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, minced (1 cup)
- 1/2 red sweet pepper, minced (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons plain dry bread crumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1. In a large bowl, using hands, mix together all ingredients until combined well. Using 1 tablespoon mixture for each, roll into balls. (Can be made ahead. Transfer to a baking sheet and freeze until solid, about 1 hour. Divide between two heavy-duty resealable plastic bags, seal and freeze up to 3 weeks. Let stand at room temperature 10 minutes before cooking.)