Spicy Kickoff Stromboli
Yield: 36 slices Prep 35 mins Rise 1 hr Bake 425°F 15 mins
- 1 recipe pizza dough
- 1/4 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 1/4 cup pimiento-stuffed green olives, chopped`
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 pound sliced provolone cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
1. Prepare pizza dough as directed.
2. Meanwhile, combine sun-dried tomatoes, kalamata olives, green olives, parsley, Parmesan, garlic, oregano and red pepper flakes in a small bowl.
3. Heat oven to 425 degree F. Grease a large cookie sheet. Divide pizza dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, with floured rolling pin, roll one piece of dough to a 15x8-inch rectangle. Top with half of provolone cheese, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Sprinkle cheese with half the olive mixture. Brush the border along one long edge with egg. Roll up from opposite long edge of dough not brushed with egg. Pinch seam to seal. Place roll seam side down on prepared cookie sheet; pinch ends and tuck under. Repeat with remaining dough and filling, arranging rolls 4 inches apart on cookie sheet. Brush tops of rolls with egg. Make 5 shallow diagonal slashes on top of each roll.
4. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, until browned. Cool on wire rack. Cut each roll into eighteen 1/2-inch slices. Makes 36 slices.
Make Ahead Tip
- Prepare and bake as directed above. Cool, wrap and refrigerate up to 2 days. To reheat, unwrap and place on a baking sheet. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until heated through. Cut as directed above.
- Servings Per Recipe 36
- Fat, total(g)4,
- sat. fat(g)2,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Yield: Dough for 2 pizzas
- 1/4 cup warm water (105 degrees F. to 115 degrees F.)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 package dry yeast
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
1. Stir warm water and honey in 2-cup glass measure until blended. Sprinkle top of mixture with active dry yeast and let stand 5 minutes or until yeast is bubbly. Meanwhile, pulse together all-purpose flour and salt in food processor to combine. Add 3/4 cup water and olive oil to yeast mixture. With machine running pour yeast mixture through feed tube; process 1 minute or until mixture forms a ball. Place dough in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm draft-free place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour. Makes enough for 2 pizzas.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!