The Mighty Eggless Salad Sandwich
Yield: 4 sandwiches
- 1 pound firm tofu
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 slices whole-wheat bread
- 1 cup watercress leaves
1. To drain, press tofu to remove excess liquid. Slice tofu in half horizontally into two 1-inch-thick pieces. Invert a plate onto a jelly-roll pan and cover with plastic wrap. Arrange tofu pieces side by side in the center of the plate. Cover tofu with plastic wrap, then top with another dinner plate. Weigh the plate down with a can. Let stand for 30 minutes, until tofu is firm and most of the water has drained out.
2. Combine tofu, celery, mayonnaise, onion, lemon juice, mustard, turmeric and salt in a bowl; mash tofu mixture with a fork until smooth. Cover and refrigerate, 1 hour, for flavors to blend.
3. Spread tofu mixture on 4 slices of bread; top with watercress and remaining 4 slices of bread.
- Servings Per Recipe 4
- Fat, total(g)13,
- sat. fat(g)3,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!