Veggie Pitas with Cashew Spread
- 1 cup (5 oz.) salted roasted cashews
- 1 6 ounce container plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus additional for pans
- 1 pound eggplant, ends trimmed and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 (3/4 lb.) orange bell peppers, sides sliced off core, stems and seeds discarded
- 3/4 pound zucchini, ends trimmed, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 6 7 inches whole-wheat pitas with pockets, cut open on one side
- 1 medium tomato, cut into 6 slices
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
DirectionsMake cashew spread::
1. In a food processor, puree cashews, scraping sides and bottom of bowl with a spatula, until smooth. Add yogurt, lemon juice, and garlic; pulse until blend well. Transfer to a bowl; salt and pepper to taste.
2. Preheat broiler and lightly oil 2 large shallow baking pans. Arrange eggplant slices, in a single layer, in prepared pans. Lightly brush tops with some oil; season with salt and pepper. Broil, turning once, until tender and golden brown, about 6 minutes; transfer to a plate. Repeat with bell peppers, zucchini, onion, and remaining oil in same manner.
3. Arrange pitas on a baking sheet and broil (being careful not to burn), turning once, until pale golden, about 2 minutes. Transfer to rack to cool slightly, about 5 minutes.
4. Spoon some cashew spread into pitas, spreading it on both sides, then fill each with broiled vegetables, tomato, and basil. Serve sandwiches, standing up, in a basket or bowl. Makes 6 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 6
- Fat, total(g)23,
- sat. fat(g)4,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet