Clam and Shrimp Risotto
A creamy blend of clams, shrimp, tomatoes, fennel, and white wine make up this low-fat main-dish risotto.
- 1 1/2 dozen medium cherrystone clams, scrubbed
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 14 1/2ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 bulb (1 lb.) fennel, or 2 cups chopped celery and 1/8 teaspoon anise seed, crushed
- 1 large (12 oz.) onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon butter or margarine
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3/4 pound medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup arborio or long-grain rice
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1. Arrange clams in a large Dutch oven. Cover and cook over medium-high heat 8 to 13 minutes, until clams open. (Clams will release broth while cooking.) Transfer clams with slotted spoon to a large bowl; set aside. Discard any unopened clams. Strain broth from clams into a 1-quart glass measure; add chicken broth and enough water to equal 4 cups. Transfer to a medium saucepan; set aside.
2. When cool enough to handle, remove clams from shells. Chop clams and return to large bowl; discard shells.
3. Bring tomatoes and juice, fennel and onion to boil in a Dutch oven. Cover and cook over medium heat 7 to 9 minutes, until vegetables are tender; transfer to bowl with clams. Increase heat to medium-high; add butter and red pepper flakes; cook 1 minute. Add shrimp in a single layer; cook, turning once, 2 minutes, just until opaque. Add garlic; cook 1 minute more. Transfer to bowl with vegetables. Add wine, rice and thyme to pot; cook just until liquid is absorbed. Stir in 1 cup of the broth mixture; cook, stirring, until liquid is just absorbed. Add remaining broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring until liquid is absorbed each time. Cook 20 to 25 minutes more, until rice is tender. Stir in shrimp, clams and vegetables and parsley; heat through. Serve immediately. Makes 4 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 4
- Fat, total(g)3,
- sat. fat(g)1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet