Crab Cake Sandwiches with Caper Mayonnaise
Yield: 6 sandwiches Prep 20 mins Chill 2 hrs Cook 350°F 16 mins
- 2 slices firm white bread
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red sweet pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 pound cooked fresh lump or jumbo crabmeat or 1 16-ounce can refrigerated, pasteurized lump crabmeat, flaked and cartilage removed
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon capers, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plain dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 6 soft rolls, split and lightly toasted
- 6 slices tomato
1. For crab cakes, pulse bread in food processor to fine crumbs. Whisk together the 1/3 cup mayonnaise, red sweet pepper, green onion, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, egg, parsley, mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the ground red pepper in a medium bowl. Gently fold in crab, then the fresh crumbs. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 2 hours, until cold.
2. Meanwhile for caper mayonnaise, combine the 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, capers, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours.
3. Spread dry breadcrumbs in a 9-inch pie plate. Lightly pack a level 1/2-cup measure with crab mixture and drop onto breadcrumbs; press lightly and gently turn to coat all sides and shape into a 3x1-inch-thick cake. Place on a cookie sheet. Repeat to form 6 cakes total.
4. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 3 crab cakes and cook 2 minutes per side, until browned and crisp. Transfer to a cookie sheet. Wipe out skillet. Repeat with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and crab cakes. Bake crab cakes 8 to 9 minutes (12 to 14 minutes, if refrigerated), until heated through.
5. Spread roll tops with caper mayonnaise. Arrange crab cakes on roll bottoms; top with tomato and roll tops. Makes 6 sandwiches.
- Fat, total(g)29,
- sat. fat(g)5,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!