Crab Cakes with Two Sauces
Yield: 48 appetizers Prep 50 mins Chill 1 hr Cook 15 mins
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon or 1 teaspoon dried
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 pounds lump crabmeat, picked over
- 2 1/2 cups fresh bread crumbs
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- Celery Remoulade and Creole Mustard Sauce (see Recipe Center)
1. Combine the mayonnaise, egg yolks, mustard, tarragon, Worcestershire sauce, crab boil seasoning, red pepper sauce, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Carefully fold in the crab meat.
2. Spread bread crumbs on 2 cookie sheets. Drop crab mixture by tablespoonfuls on top of crumbs. Shape into small cakes; roll in crumbs to coat evenly. Chill 1 hour.
3. Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Cook cakes in 3 batches about 2 to 3 minutes per side, then transfer to paper towels to drain. Arrange crab cakes on a warm serving platter. Serve with sauces. Makes about 48 appetizers.
Make Ahead Tip
- Prepare as directed above. Cool, cover, and refrigerate up to 24 hours. Reheat on cookie sheets in a 375 degree F oven for 15 minutes.
- Servings Per Recipe 48
- Fat, total(g)7,
- sat. fat(g)1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet