Mini Crab Cakes
Lump or jumbo crabmeat is combined with lemon juice, mayonnaise, hot pepper sauce, celery, and red sweet pepper for these tasty little appetizers.
Yield: 36 cakes Prep 45 mins Chill 2 hrs Bake 350°F 10 mins
- 7 slices firm white bread, cut up
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon bottled hot red pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup finely minced celery
- 1/3 cup minced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 1 pound fresh lump or jumbo crabmeat, or one 16-ounce can refrigerated, pasteurized crabmeat, picked over
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 6 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- Fresh parsley and lemon slices, for garnish
- Hot red pepper sauce, for serving (optional)
- Jalapeno sauce, for serving (optional)
1. Pulse bread in food processor to fine crumbs.
2. Whisk mayonnaise, egg, red pepper sauce, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce and salt in bowl. Stir in 3/4 cup of the bread crumbs, celery, bell pepper and onion. Gently stir in crab. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours.
3. Transfer remaining bread crumbs to a large shallow dish; toss with parsley. Place a 25-inch-long piece of waxed paper on flat surface. Pack a level measuring tablespoon with crab mixture and drop onto bread crumbs; gently turn to coat and shape into 1-1/2-inch cake. Place on waxed paper. Repeat.
4. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a large cookie sheet with vegetable cooking spray. Heat 1-1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add about 8 to 10 crab cakes to skillet and cook 1-1/2 to 2 minutes per side, until golden. Transfer to prepared sheet. Repeat with remaining oil and crab cakes.
5. Bake crab cakes 10 minutes, until heated through. Garnish with parsley and lemon slices and serve with red pepper sauce and jalapeno sauce, if desired.
Make Ahead Tip
- Transfer browned cakes to an airtight container and freeze up to 1 week. Thaw 30 minutes in the refrigerator. Bake for 12 to 13 minutes, or until heated through.
- Fat, total(g)3,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet