Panela-Rum-Cured Smoked Salmon
- 6 allspice berries
- 6 star anise
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/3 cup kosher salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup grated panela, or 1/2 cup brown sugar plus 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 1 1/2 cups dark rum
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 1 teaspoon chopped chipotle chile in adobo sauce
- Ice cubes
- 6 6 ounces center-cut, 1-inch-thick salmon fillets
- 2 cups fruit wood chips
1. For marinade, toast spices in a skillet over medium heat 2 minutes. Combine with salt, sugar, vanilla bean, rum, brandy, and chipotle pepper in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil; stirring, cook 5 minutes, until salt and panela (or sugar) dissolves. Remove from heat; add 5 or 6 ice cubes and cool completely. Pour marinade into a 13x9-inch baking dish. Add salmon, skin side up. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator 24 hours.
2. Combine wood chips and enough cold water to cover in a bowl. Let stand 30 minutes. Remove salmon from marinade and pat dry with paper towels.To grill::
3. For gas grill: Punch holes with a knife in the bottom of a small foil pan. Drain wood chips; place in pan in one corner of the grill. Replace top cooking grate. Close lid and heat burners on High 500 degree F to 550 degrees F about 10 minutes. Oil grill. Arrange salmon, skin side down, and grill until skin is lightly charred and crisp, 1 minute. Turn one burner off and move fillets off the heat. Reduce heat to medium on remaining burners. Close lid and grill salmon over indirect heat 7 to 10 minutes more, until fish is a rosy color in the center and flakes easily. For charcoal grill: Open all vents. Build one pile of 30 to 40 briquettes on one side of the grill. Ignite and burn briquettes 25 to 30 minutes, until coals are covered with a light coating of gray ash. Drain wood chips. Add chips to hot briquettes. Replace top grate. Oil grill. Arrange salmon skin side down on grill directly over coals; grill 1 minute, until skin is lightly charred and crisp. Move fillets to opposite side of grill off of heat. Close lid and grill salmon, skin side down, over indirect heat 7 to 10 minutes more, until salmon is a rosy color in the center and flakes easily. Makes 6 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 6
- Fat, total(g)17,
- sat. fat(g)4,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!