Perfect Crab Cakes
Yield: 8 crab cakes Prep 25 mins Chill 4 hrs Cook 250°F 8 mins
- 4 - 5 slices firm white bread, crusts removed, torn into pieces
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 pound fresh lump or jumbo crabmeat, picked over
- 1/4 cup butter (no substitutions)
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- Lemon wedges
1. For the crumbs, process the bread in food processor to fine crumbs.
2. Combine mayonnaise, egg, shallots, parsley, lemon juice, mustard, and red pepper in bowl. Fold in crabmeat and 1 cup bread crumbs, just until blended.
3. Line a cookie sheet with wax paper. Place remaining 1 cup bread crumbs on a large plate. Gently shape a rounded 1/3 cup crab mixture into a 2-1/4-inch patty; coat lightly with bread crumbs. Transfer crab cakes to prepared cookie sheet. Repeat process with remaining crab mixture and crumbs. Refrigerate 4 hours.
4. For the clarified butter, microwave butter on High in 1-cup glass measure covered with plastic wrap 1 to 1-1/2 minutes, until melted. Let stand 2 minutes until milk solids settle to bottom. Skim off foaming top; discard. Pour clear liquid into cup.
5. Heat oven to 250 degree F. Heat 1 tablespoon clarified butter and 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add 4 crab cakes and cook until golden, about 4 minutes. Turn cakes and cook 4 minutes more. Transfer cakes to cookie sheet; keep warm in oven. Wipe out skillet and cook remaining cakes with remaining butter and oil. Serve with lemon. Makes 8 crab cakes.
- Fat, total(g)22,
- sat. fat(g)6,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet