Seared Shrimp with Red Bean Relish
- 1 pound dried red or pinto beans
- 2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled
- 2 tablespoons Creole seasoning*
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 small red onion, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- red pepper sauce
- Lemon wedges
1. Soak beans overnight in water to cover by 2 inches. Drain. Combine beans with fresh water to cover by 2 inches in large sauce pot and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered just until tender, 1-1/2 hours. Drain, rinse, and refrigerate.
2. Meanwhile, toss shrimp with Creole seasoning in medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate 2 to 6 hours.
3. For bean relish, combine cooled beans with bell peppers, onion, lemon juice, shallots, oil, thyme, garlic, salt, black pepper, and pepper sauce in large bowl; toss to combine.
4. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until very hot. Add half of the shrimp to skillet in single layer; cook 1 minute. Turn shrimp over. Add 2/3 cup water and continue cooking, shaking pan, until shrimp are opaque throughout, 2 to 3 minutes more. Transfer to bowl. Wipe out pan and repeat with remaining shrimp and 2/3 cup more water.
5. Mound bean relish on 8 dinner plates. Arrange shrimp on top. Serve with lemon wedges. Makes 8 servings.
- Creole seasoning is available in many supermarkets and specialty stores. To make your own, combine 4 teaspoons paprika, 1 tablespoon each salt and garlic powder, and 2 teaspoons each dried oregano, dried thyme, onion powder, and ground black and red pepper. Makes 1/4 cup.
- Servings Per Recipe 8
- Fat, total(g)6,
- sat. fat(g)1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!