Striped Bass and Risotto in Spice Broth
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallot
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 4 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 8 ounce bottles clam juice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons heavy or whipping cream
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon Thai red curry paste
- 2 cups arborio or medium-grain rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime peel, divided
- 4 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 6 ounces striped bass fillets with skin
- 3 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Sauteed greens (optional)
1. For risotto, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 3-quart heavy-bottomed saucepan. Add carrot, shallot and garlic and cook until vegetables soften. Combine broth, clam juice and wine in a glass measure (or a large bowl). Pour or ladle 1-1/2 cups broth mixture into a 2-cup glass measure. Add cream and curry paste; set aside.
2. Add remaining 5-1/2 cups broth mixture to vegetables. Bring to a boil; stir in rice and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook 20 minutes, until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender with a slight bite. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon of the lime peel.
3. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine coriander, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and pepper in a cup. Sprinkle over the skinless side of fish fillets. Heat 1-1/2 teaspoons oil in a 12-inch skillet over high heat. Add 4 fillets skin side down. Immediately place the bottom of a 9-inch pie plate on the fish and weight with a heavy can. (This will prevent the fish from curling.) Cook 2 to 3 minutes until skin is browned. Remove plate and can. Transfer fish with a spatula, skin side down, to bottom of a broiler pan. Repeat. Bake 5 to 6 minutes, until fish flakes easily with a fork in center of fillets. Sprinkle with lime juice.
4. Microwave reserved 1-1/2 cups broth mixture on High 2 to 4 minutes until very hot; stir to dissolve curry paste. Add remaining 1/4 teaspoon lime peel.
5. Divide risotto among 8 serving plates. Arrange fish, skin side up, on top of rice; pour reserved hot broth around risotto. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve with sauteed greens, if desired. Makes 8 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 8
- Fat, total(g)10,
- sat. fat(g)3,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet