- 4 tuna steaks, 1/2 inch thick (about 1-1/2 lbs.)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup peeled garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 medium Hungarian wax or banana peppers, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- 3 small onions, cut into very thin wedges
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 black peppercorns
- 1/2 cup clam juice
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
1. Sprinkle tuna steaks on both sides with kosher salt; let stand 10 minutes at room temperature.
2. Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-low heat. Add garlic and cook 4 to 5 minutes, turning occasionally, stirring until tender and lightly browned. Remove garlic with slotted spoon to cutting board; finely chop with parsley, cumin, and salt. Set aside.
3. Increase heat to medium-high; heat the oil in skillet until very hot. Add tuna and sear 30 seconds per side; transfer to a clean plate.
4. Add 1 tablespoon oil to skillet; reduce heat to medium. Add peppers and onions and cook 5 to 6 minutes, until just tender.
5. Reduce heat to medium-low; add garlic mixture, remaining 2 tablespoons oil, thyme, oregano, paprika, bay leaf, peppercorns, clam juice, and vinegar. Cover and simmer 10 to 12 minutes, until peppers are tender. Add tuna to skillet; cover and simmer 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat, spoon sauce over, cover and let stand 2 minutes more for medium-rare, 3 minutes for medium. Serve warm or at room temperature. Makes 4 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 4
- Fat, total(g)22,
- sat. fat(g)4,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet