Yield: 24 cookies Prep 1 hr 20 mins Bake 350°F 12 mins
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter (3 sticks)
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- recipe Royal Icing
- white sanding sugar
1. Whisk together flour, cocoa, salt and cinnamon; set aside.
2. Using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light, about 2 minutes. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Working in two batches, add flour mixture and beat until just combined. Divide dough in half and wrap pieces in plastic wrap, flatten into disks and chill 1 hour or overnight.
3. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. On a floured surface roll dough to 11/4-inch thick. Cut with a 5-inch gingerbread man cookie cutter and transfer to unlined baking sheets. Reroll scraps once. Bake until cookies spring back when touched, about 12 minutes. Cool on wire racks.
4. Prepare 1 recipe of Royal Icing. Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a #2 plain tip. Decorate with lines for a skeleton. Pipe an outline of a skull and circles for eyes and mouth; flood face with icing. Sprinkle some with sanding sugar. Dry completely.
- With an electric mixer mix 2 cups confectioners' sugar, 2 1/2 tbsp meringue powder or powdered egg whites and 1/4 cup water on low speed, scraping side of bowl, until icing is the consistency of soft whipped cream, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a piping bag immediately. Makes 1 1/4 cups