Black Bean Soup
Yield: 12 cups Prep 45 mins plus soaking Cook 1 hr 30 mins to 2 hrs
- 1 pound dried black beans
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 14 1/2ounce cans chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 pound smoked ham hocks
- 1 14 - 16 ounce can whole tomatoes, chopped, juice reserved
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Lemon slices, for garnish
1. Soak beans in water to cover by 2 inches overnight. (To quick-soak: Place beans with water to cover by 2 inches in large saucepan and bring to boil; boil 2 minutes. Cover and let stand 1 hour.) Drain.
2. Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, and celery; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender. Add garlic, cumin, and red pepper flakes; cook 30 seconds. Stir in beans, broth, water, bay leaf, thyme, and ham hocks. Bring to boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes. Stir in tomatoes with juice and salt; simmer, covered, until beans are very tender, 1 to 1-1/2 hours more.
3. Remove ham hock. Cut meat from bone. Discard skin and bone and bay leaf and return meat to soup. With potato masher, mash soup to thicken. Garnish with lemon slices, if desired.
- Servings Per Recipe 12
- Fat, total(g)4,
- sat. fat(g)1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!