Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup with Apples and Oranges
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots, sliced
- 2 Golden Delicious apples
- 3 cans (14-1/2 oz. each) chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 cup water
1. Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and cook 2 minutes or until softened. Stir in carrots and cook 3 minutes. Peel and dice 1 apple. Stir the peeled apple, broth, sweet potatoes, water, bay leaves and allspice into onions and carrots. Bring soup to boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 20 to 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
2. Meanwhile, finely dice remaining apple. Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in small skillet over medium heat. Add apple and cook, stirring, about 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in orange peel; remove from heat.
3. Remove bay leaves from soup. Puree soup in blender in batches. Transfer each batch to a large bowl, then return to Dutch oven. Stir in orange juice; simmer about 5 minutes or until heated through. Ladle soup into six serving bowls; divide and top each with some of the apple mixture. Makes 6 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 6
- Fat, total(g)9,
- sat. fat(g)4,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!