Chicken Soup with Matzo Balls
Yield: 10 cups soup and 20 Matzo Balls Prep 40 mins Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
- 1 stewing chicken (4 lbs.)
- 10 cups cold water
- 3 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 ribs celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, halved
- 1 parsnip, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 10 black peppercorns
- 3 parsley sprigs, divided
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup rendered chicken fat*or shortening, melted
- 1 cup matzo meal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch ground nutmeg
1. Place chicken and the 10 cups water in large saucepot. Bring to boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 30 minutes; skim broth. Add vegetables, garlic, peppercorns, 2 parsley sprigs, and the 4 teaspoons salt; cover and simmer 2-1/2 hours. Cool slightly and remove chicken. (Reserve chicken for another use.)
2. Strain soup; reserve a few carrot pieces and cut into thin slices for garnish. Refrigerate overnight. Skim off fat.Make Matzo Balls::
3. Combine eggs, the 1/2 cup water, and the melted fat in medium bowl. Stir in matzo meal, the 1 teaspoon salt, the pepper, and nutmeg. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
4. Bring 1-1/2 quarts water to boil in medium saucepan. With wet palms, roll matzo mixture into 1-inch balls and drop into boiling water. Simmer, covered, 20 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon and add to soup. Heat through. Garnish with remaining parsley sprig and reserved carrot slices, if desired. Makes 10 cups soup and 20 Matzo Balls.
Make Ahead Tip
- The strained soup can be made ahead. Cover and refrigerate up to 3 days. To serve, prepare matzo balls as directed. Reheat soup. Serve as directed.
- To render chicken fat: Remove large pieces of fat from around cavity of raw chicken. Cut into small pieces and melt in small saucepan over medium-low heat. Cool and use for matzo balls.
- Fat, total(g)10,
- sat. fat(g)3,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet