Chipotle Sweet Potato Soup with Queso Blanco
Fresh lime juice, smoky chipotle peppers, and spicy cumin tame the sweetness from the honey and potatoes in this creamy side-dish soup.
Yield: 10 cups Prep 20 mins Start to Finish 1 hr
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo, seeds removed
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup queso blanco, crumbled
1. In a 4-1/2-quart pot over medium-high heat, combine oil, onion, garlic and sweet potatoes. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, 10 min. Add salt, lime juice, honey, cumin, chipotle pepper and 3 cups broth and bring to a simmer; cover and cook until very soft, 18 to 20 min.
2. Remove from heat. Add 1 cup broth and milk. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup. (Alternately, in batches, puree soup in blender, holding lid on with a towel while blending.) Serve with cheese. Makes 10 cups.
- Fat, total(g)6,
- sat. fat(g)2,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet