Cream of Wild Mushroom Soup
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 pound crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons Madeira or sherry
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Chopped parsley, optional
1. Soak porcini mushrooms in water, 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. In a large saucepan, heat olive oil and butter. Add crimini mushrooms and cook over medium heat, 5 minutes. Set aside half for garnish. Add porcini and shiitake mushrooms and shallots. Cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes more. Stir in Madeira, flour, and thyme. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Let cool slightly.
3. Puree soup in small batches in a food processor in batches until smooth. Return to saucepan. Add half-and-half cream and salt and pepper to taste; simmer until hot. Garnish each serving with reserved mushrooms and parsley, if desired. Makes 6 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 6
- Fat, total(g)14,
- sat. fat(g)7,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!