Easy Black Bean Soup
Kitchen cue: This healthy Easy Black Bean Soup is as easy to make as it is delicious. A topping of sour cream, sliced white onion and store-bought salsa adds tang.
Yield: 6 cups Prep 5 mins Start to Finish 30 mins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces cooked ham steak, cut into a 1/4-inch dice
- 1 cup chopped white onion plus 1/4 cup sliced white onion for garnish
- 3 15 ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup chopped cilantro plus sprigs for garnish
1. Heat oil in a 4- to 5-quart pot over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking and cook ham, stirring occasionally until golden, about 4 minutes. Add onion and continue to cook until onion is softened, about 2 minutes longer. Stir in beans, broth, water, and cilantro and bring to a simmer. Simmer soup, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
2. Transfer 1 cup of soup to a blender and puree until smooth. Return puree to pot with soup, stirring to combine. Season with pepper to taste. Serve soup in bowls garnished with sliced onion and cilantro sprigs.
- Fat, total(g)8,
- sat. fat(g)2,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet