Macaroni and Cheese Chowder
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1/4 pound smoked ham, diced
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 12 ounce package frozen macaroni and cheese
- 1 14 ounce can chicken broth
- 1 14 1/2ounce can creamed-style corn
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced
- Fresh chives, for garnish
- Crusty bread (optional)
1. Heat butter in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add ham and onions; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened and ham is lightly browned.
2. Meanwhile, microwave the frozen macaroni and cheese according to package directions.
3. Add macaroni and cheese, broth, corn, milk, salt, and pepper to the onions; bring to a boil. Stir in chicken; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 3 to 4 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. Garnish with chives. Serve with crusty bread, if desired. Makes 4 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 4
- Fat, total(g)15,
- sat. fat(g)7,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!