Mexican Beef Soup
Yield: 12 cups Prep 50 mins Start to Finish 2 mins to 25 mins
- 1 3 pound beef shank with bone cut into 1-to 2-inch-thick pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 14 ounce cans beef broth
- 3 11 ounce cans tomatillos
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 poblano chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch squares
- 3 thin carrots, cut into 1/2-inch thick rounds
- 3 celery stalks, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1 chayote or summer squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso blanco cheese
- Restaurant-style tortilla chips, for serving (optional)
1. Rinse beef and pat dry; season well with salt. In a large pot, heat oil over high heat. Add beef and brown on all sides, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer beef to a plate. Reduce heat to medium; add onion and garlic. Cook until onion is softened, about 3 minutes. Return beef to pot; add broth, tomatillos, juice and cumin. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 1 hour. Transfer beef to a cutting board and, when cool enough to handle, shred meat (discard bones) and return to pot. Add chile, carrot, celery and chayote; simmer until tender, 20 to 25 minutes more. Skim off fat and stir in cilantro.
2. Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with cheese. Serve with tortilla chips (if using). Makes 12 cups.
- Fat, total(g)9,
- sat. fat(g)2,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!